Monday, October 5, 2009

Frickin Candy Bitches!

TRICK 'R TREAT (2008)

Best horror movie I seen in a damn long while. Best mainstream horror movie I have seen in the last few years period (wait if I put a period after the word period is that.. Ah screw it)

Okay so here's a fun story. So Michael Dougherty is Bryan Singer's pal. He writes X2, superman returns... etc. Then comes up with this sick little horror flick. Bryan Singer producers, Bam! Movie gets made. Hype is decent there's even a trailer that drops... and then POOF no release. Movie sits for whatever reason on some dusty film studios shelf...

I have never wanted to burn down Hollywood more, this movie freakin rocked my horror lovin socks.

The story is set around the a small town on Halloween. Four stories; A crazy kid killing principal, a virgin with a group of fairy tale dressed hoes (yes as hot as you can fathom), a group of kids on an urban legend adventure, and crazy old man, are all woven together over the night. I can't go into too much detail without spoiling plot, and as you, my loyal readers know, ol' Bonny don't swing that way, unless the flick sucks.... in which case I of course consider it my sacred duty to protect you from certain brain injury at the hands of film makers run amok... it's not exactly saving kittens, but I think it still counts.

The directing is tight, Doughtery shows a real love from classic horror. There are camera nods to Black Christmas (the original, not the blood soaked, plot thin remake, also if you haven't seen the original... slap yourself) Child's play, and so on. The CGI is minimal, I counted one scene I believe, the rest is all old school makeup. (deep sigh) Really brings a tear to your eye. The acting is good. Even get this, real kids playing kids. I know... still when I see teenagers who happen to be teenagers as opposed to wrinkly twenty somethings that look like they smoked since they were twelve, been sexing it up since nine, and have about three layers of foundation on. Hollywood Y'all. This movie kept me guessing, laughing, and pretty much lovin myself for most of the movie,

Also... (drum roll) it actually caught me a few times really having no idea what to expect... none. I bow to you writer/director guy. The fact that Bryan Singer had something to do with this makes me hate him slightly less for his Superman debacle.

Okay Boony's bottom line. If you are not a fan of horror. Stay away that simple. This is not for you. If you like horror, if you like jumping, being brain bitch slapped, and giggling at comedic delivery amidst violent and twisted chaos... this is for you. Horror fans rejoice... there might be hope for Hollywood yet... oh wait they let this sit in a back room for a year and a half... and now its going straight to DVD. Never mind.

movie scale 3 out of five stars
horror scale 4.5 out of five stars (my highest rating yet to a horror entry!)

P.S. Not saying greatest horror flick all time... no, no, but from what I reviewed since I started... it is.

Chuck Boonsweet is saying protect your nuts, they make the babies... Um... and to the ladies... Ah... I got nothin, but you're awesome dammit.

:)

No comments: