Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Not another Teen movie... wait I mean... Well ok kinda is

I LOVE YOU, BETH COOPER (2009)


Teen comedies have been around for a long time, because they are funny, and sometimes even when they are unfunny but still have boobies, and teens in rowdy sexual misadventures. Oh no... my parents caught me touching my microphone... gosh what to do.. There are some glorious mainstream entries that stand the test of time: Animal House, Porky's, American Pie, The New Guy (yes I don't know why but it holds a special place in my heart), and a few others. Will BETH COOPER be in that category? I don't know.

First I loved the book, LOVED the book. And yes I hate everyone that constantly reminds you that the book was better than the movie blah blah. I mean seriously does anyone out there that enjoys HARRY POTTER and has never read a page of it need to hear one more douche saying "Oh my God they left so much out", or... well shit... you know dammit. So I will say this, the book was a great, if not, one of the funnest teen nerd chase hot girl stories ever. Written by Larry Doyle (a former mainstay on the Simpson writing staff) we could hardly expect less. So I was excited for this movie. Also Larry Doyle wrote the screenplay, so I got a little more excited. And then Hayden "I love you so much that it makes my other celeb crushes jealous" Panettiere was picked up to play Beth cooper, and I was mad wicked nipple hard excited.

So story is as such- Nerd is a nerd, steps up to give graduation speech, declares undying love for most popular girl who doesn't even know he exists. Her Boyfriend gets it in her head to crush the life from his bones. She thinks he's kinda sick, weak, cute, and let the teen comedy commence. First this is every teen movie you have ever seen. I watched this as I would a slasher flick. You know whats coming but is it good at the delivering, and the answer is yes. The plot is nothing new, but how they do it is. This is not a fairy tale teen comedy. There are actually a few moments of real. Like the geek realizing that the girl of his dreams is actually kinda normal, if not even slightly a hoe. It does cause confusion in his wet dream crush matrix.
... and as for the book... a pretty true translation. A few small differences that I missed, but all the big stuff was there... The towel fight scene was definitely satisfying. Trust me. I haven't seen that level of wet cloth man smacking in years...

This movie is cute... it's fun... and Hayden really is hot. The geeks here are not Hollywood cute geeks. They're real, and they are just in a hapless situation and in over their acme covered heads.

A guilty pleasure. I hope you guys enjoy it for what it is... bubblegum comedy with a few great one liners, and some decent acting by the two leads. Be warned some of the situations are so geek covered you might actually look away, and not because its gross... just because they really are that socially awkward.

movie scale 2.5 out of 5 stars
Teen Comedy scale 3.5 out of 5 stars

I enjoyed the fact this film did not rely on gross out humor... not that I have a problem watching STIFLER drink the cum beer... but really, a nice change.

Boony is out this here piece fools!

No comments: