Saturday, July 7, 2012

Aliens... those jive turkeys

MEN IN BLACK 3 (2012)

If you have not ever watched a Men in Black movie, you have probably never enjoyed science fiction, and also, possibly, never been a child. Hahaha... ok that may be a little much. The fact is however, the first two films over a decade old now, made hundreds of millions of dollars world wide. Toys, cartoon shows, video games, and a ton of other merchandise. So it took a while but you had to figure eventually they would be back. I, for one, was pumped. MIB is a definite part of my younger years, and a pair of movies that I view as nothing more than popcorn munching fun.
So, that was how I went into this film, and my popcorn munching needs where met folks... oh were they...

For those that don't know, the Men in Black police alien interactions, and goings on, on earth. Without the general public's knowledge. Agent J (Will Smith) and Agent K (still kickass Tommy Lee Jones) are the bestest of the bestest. Super bad guy breaks out of moon prison, and decides to travel back in time to destroy his nemesis, Agent K. Will Smith then comes to work, realizes Agent K has been wiped out and travels back in time to save K, and stop the present world from being overcome by an alien invasion.

Okay, this movie is in 3D, and as we all know, 3D is occasionally, if not more often, a let down. This is a film though that was structured for 3D and shot frame by frame in the third dimension. The 3D in this film was, I'm pretty sure, the first time I have ever been wowed by the technology. Yes the depth of AVATAR was impressive, and TRANSFORMERS 3 had its moments, but this is what I think about when I see 3D. Stuff flying at me. Crazy textures and effects. There was also one really cool seen that actually succeeded in giving folks in the theatre vertigo. The girl I went with actually had to look away. How cool is that. And will Smith's giant mug bending out the screen towards me... Yay Boi! That is what I go to see a 3D flick for.

The movie is textbook MIB. Funny, Will Smith going off constantly. Josh Brolin is a nice addiction as the younger K. Alice Eve is a sadly underused possibly love interest. Why put a woman that hot in a movie if you are not going to let a star fall for her? Strange. The whole concept of putting Will Smith back in the 60's, and having him deal with the racism of the time was handled with more than a little tongue in cheek humor. And happily was only used a few times. I really had no major problems with this film. It was what it should have been. FUN. No boring parts. No long explanations. Just guns and aliens and will smith running his mouth and cool flashes and booms.

:)

I had fun, and I think you all will too. Will it make you cry, or win awards? No. But really if you expect that from the third entry in a big budget sci-fi flick... well... you just whack.

Movie scale 3.5 out of 5 stars
Sci-fi scale 3.5 out of 5 stars

Good to see Will Smith back to having a little fun.

- Charles Boonsweet saying keep your time jump watches handy!

No comments: