Monday, July 21, 2014

Chiller Classics present: Night Warning (1982)

Welcome my friends to Chiller Classics, where I Charles Bartholomew Boonsweet take you on a trip to the olden, sometimes golden, days of horror.  Hopefully I will introduce you to some fine genre flicks you may not have heard of, either because of how old they are or how obscure, and break down some gory, chill filled, education in Horror History 101. And for those of you who are already well versed in the "good ol' days" of horror, hopefully this will help bring back some nostalgic memories and maybe entice you to see some of these classics again.


I just have to start by saying, that is one of the sweetest posters of the 80s slasher boom. I mean drink in that 80s charm. No teen floating heads here, nope, just creepy, with a solid tag line - "Butcher, Baker, nightmare maker" True the film is generally known by it's alternate title... But then again this film has yet to make it past the VHS era... so really, "Known" is a strong word.

Your Plot: Psycho Aunt raises nephew, with a very hands on, you're the centre of my world approach. Everything is going just fine until the nephew, Jimmy, turns 17 and his hormones, and basketball skill hit the scene. Yup. Girls want him, and it looks like the university of Denver might just hook Jimmy up with a scholarship. Aka a one way ticket outta town. And Aunt Cheryl can't have that. She'll have to murder and scheme to keep Jimmy home. Bring on the blood.

This movie may well have been called Mrs. Voorhees unleashed. There is no denying the inspiration for the film. Susan Tyrell as the lead is amazing. Channels every bit of maternal crazy she can muster and then some. Absolutely made the movie. And she is not alone the acting all around is more than a few body parts above the usual 80s indie lineup.

Oh when you have that back itch you just can't reach...
But that takes us to the heart of the horror, if you will, the brains of the piece, the severed spine... okay you get it... you get it... THE SCRIPT is actually a lot of fun here. I should mention this is either the most anti Gay film I have ever seen, or the most supportive. I'm really not sure. It has been so long since I have seen the subject handled in this here "Gloves off kiddies" approach I will probably need some time to process. I do think it accurately shows some of the feelings during that time period, while providing strong characters against such thoughts.

But that curiosity in itself is not the only gem in this here script. No, Bo Svenson as the would be smart Detective, is a blast in every seen. He is so crass and determined he is right, that right up until the end he's in the dark, and so gleefully unaware that it makes for some great back and forths with the other characters.

Ok let's touch base on some need to knows.

GORE: More than a little but not a lot. Most of the violence is by knife so not a whole lot of meaty bits, but a Ton of blood, and well... more blood. I have no complaints.

So you're saying, sex is good, homeschooling is bad...
SCARES: You know what I am gunna say it, and I am as surprised as you, there was some genuine creepy moments in here. I don't know if I was scared, but there was some real suspense. The entire last 15 minutes is great. I mean showdowns (and you Booniacs knows how I love my showdown), twists, and at the end of all of it....

THE ENDING: Satisfaction... oh sweet sweet satisfaction. They even hit you with a "This is where these characters are" as if it was a real life story. GOLD.

I honestly have no major complaints other than poor picture quality, and lack of a budget. This is a film that needs BLURAY. #ScreamFactory #BlueUnderground #SynapseFilms ... #Arrow ... where is this movie? Why is it not in a slick new case, with tonnes of extras, looking sexy on my shelf?

Movie Scale 3.5 out of 5 stars
Horror Scale 3.5 out of 5 stars

If you get the chance, get your bloody hands on this! A lot of fun.

- Chuck B.

No comments: