Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Straight outta Compton (2015)

F*** tha Police



I heard this film being described as my generations film. I scoffed at that at first. Then, I thought about it. It might actually be. I don't remember the first time I heard Metallica... I don't remember the first time I heard the Foo Fighters... I don't remember the first time I heard the Beatles, or Nine Inch Nails... But I remember the first time I heard NWA.

I was sitting in amongst a basement full of teenagers partying and partaking in the still newly amazing misadventures of alcohol, and my buddy came jogging down the stairs holding a tape in his hand (I do not have time to explain what a tape is to anyone, besides all you young cats probably think its retro cool again haha). On the tape written in black marker were 3 letters N.W.A.

The first track that screamed over my crap stereo was F*** the Police. I remember actually tilting my head towards the stereo and just absorbing what was coming out. I loved it. Before the end of the night I was reciting lyrics, yelling out the main points, and well, feeling like a bad ass. To anyone that thinks a film like this is only for a certain portion of the generation or population, reconsider, this music was powerful enough that it reached many more people than you might think.

You think he's thinking Arbys? 
So this is a bio pic. We chart the gathering of Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, and Eazy E (with a few other side players) as they form a movement and a group that changed modern music. Along the way - the man will try to hold them down (those pesky police always trying to arrest them) and a manager will mislead them, but despite all of that they might just survive to enjoy their success.

My one problem with this film is as follows : STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON is a greatest hits package. In film form. Dr. Dre goes through the film basically chilling, and knocking people out when they bother him. Ice Cube, loves his Moma, and smashes up a record exec office, but only after they try to screw him. And Eazy E... well, actually his character is 3 dimensional. Even getting into his passing.

Now understanding that Dr. Dre and Ice Cube were involved with the film it's possible that they cleaned out their "True Story" position of the tale... or maybe tried to make Eazy E look bad... but I think he comes out the more realistic. More than likely though, it was decided in hollywood, that showing gangsta's being gangsta is cool... as long as you don't get too deep into it (Note the absence of the woman abuse subject). But you can chase a guy down the hall in a hotel with a machine gun after you've slept with his girl...

That said. STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON is a really fun movie. By sidetracking the lengthy back story and moving instead towards all the big moments that fans have heard about for years, it gives the film a kinetic energy that is infectious. The acting is bang on (Ice Cubes own son plays him in the film and nails it). Paul Giamatti as their manager is a blast. The music is well, as expected. I seriously had a hard time not standing up in the theatre. I seen heads bobbin everywhere.

The whole crew. Man they look almost bang on. 
And seeing all the moments - Dr and Eazy in the booth for Boys in the Hood, Snoop, 2Pac, just to name a few are all great, and add a sense of history to a film that occasionally plays out a little too friendly. One of the funnest bio pics every to hit a screen, and a film that I think people who might dismiss it, will find themselves drawn to check out.

True story. A Mother of a Girl I work with, and an avid country fan, walked up to me and out of nowhere asked if I had seen STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON. When I said yes she went off on how amazing the movie was and that she had cried at the end. I would not have had her anywhere near a list of fans of this film... goes to show you... some stories transcend age, race, and gender. NWA. Who knew.

Movie scale 3.5 out of 5 stars
Biographical Movie scale 4 out of 5 stars

One line review: Woke up quick at about noon, just thought that I had to be in Compton soon...

#Straightouttacompton
#NWA

Boonsweet is out this Bitch!

No comments: